Sunday, February 5, 2017

Super Bowl Week in Houston

Not much to say about the big game, except that I'm rooting for the Falcons, and will really be happy when it's all over. Our local news has been mainly about the events leading up to today and I'm sick of it!

Remember last week when I said I was going for all my exercise classes again this week? Well, I only made it to yoga one time and nothing else because I strained my back last Sunday night. Nothing serious and I'm back to normal now, but dammit!

My big news of the past week is that I've accepted a brand new challenge and I'm excited about it. I started tutoring a 4th grade boy yesterday who has autism. Before I committed to the mother I spoke with his teacher and learned he is two grade levels behind, stumbles over his math facts, and needs frequent breaks. But she also stated that he's very nice and will try anything asked of him. So I told his mom I'd do it and then researched teaching math to autistic kids. So I headed over with dice, coins and games on the iPad. The family lives within easy walking distance, which is great. His name is Alaeldin (pronounced Ala-eldin) and he was delightful. After 45 minutes I asked him if he was ready to stop, as 45 minutes is usually the max time to hold a younger child's interest. But he said he could go longer and I was thrilled. We did have to stop and chat periodically, but I let him take the lead and it seemed to work pretty well. This kid will definitely keep me on my toes and I'll have to keep studying and find more visual aids to use, but I think it will really be good for me. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment