Sunday, March 19, 2017

Spring Break

Some things never change. Just as I did when I was teaching, I ignored my list of things I needed to do and enjoyed some time off from mentoring and tutoring. So I still need to do my taxes, get a passport for Africa, and do some work in the yard. What's wrong with me?

However, I did relish in my down time. On Tuesday the Winettes celebrated the birthday of one of our members... tiara and all. Then Manuel came over for dinner one night and we charcoaled steaks. Okay, actually he did it. I bought a charcoal grill two years ago and only used it once because I'm so used to just going outside, turning on the gas, and grilling. This is way too much work.

Yesterday I went to Krause House where we line danced with four groups of girls for 30 minutes each... I was exhausted when we were done, but the girls really had fun. It was our most successful activity so far.

Today I visited with Tristan and tutored Alaeldin, the autistic boy. Mid-lesson he asked, "Is it okay to laugh at someone if they're laughing, too?" I said it was and then he asked, "But if they're suffering, it's not okay, right?" These things must be so hard for someone with autism. So I never try to get him back on task until I've answered all his questions. I guess he needs all the reinforcement he can get. He's a sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment