Monday, January 18, 2016

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

To celebrate the day, I went to Krause House to make Mardi Gras masks with the girls, since they were out of school today. Okay, so actually, they were celebrating and we were just helping. It counts.

I also met my new mentee, Sage. She's 15 and has been in the foster system since she was very young. Was actually removed from her home three different times and now it's permanent. We'll meet for the first time alone on Saturday. I asked her if she liked to play any games and she said no, she just wants to spend the hour talking. This is new for me... Hope didn't like to talk. I'm looking forward to it.

I did read an article today which listed 87 quotes from MLK since today would have been his 87th birthday. My two favorites were, "Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase." And "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." If only we could all follow his lead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny
    I love following your days via your blog! Sad that Penny Lane is closed but it served its purpose. You should consider writing a book! What tales you could tell :)
    Patti

    ReplyDelete