Sunday, January 31, 2016

Inspire Your Heart With Art Day

I was happy to read that one way to celebrate this day was to listen to music. That's something I do everyday, but I visited Sage this morning and she likes contemporary gospel music, so we listened to that while we talked and played cards.

She told me immediately that she didn't see her therapist last week, so I told her that although I wasn't qualified, I was definitely willing to listen. She said she'd talked to her mother in Dallas and her mom told her she needed to write a letter to the man who had hurt her. I asked about that and she asked me if I'd read the letter. Of course, I agreed. but had no idea how serious this was.

She was molested by her mother's boyfriend for 3 1/2 years starting when she was 9. The man is now in prison for it, but she hasn't had a good relationship with her mom since. Sage said when it all came to light, her mother just shut down and wouldn't have anything to do with her. The mother hadn't known about it and I explained that she probably feels guilty about it. We talked about that for a while and before I left she told me that she really likes my personality because I'm so blunt. I was actually taken aback because I felt like I'd been complimenting for all the progress she's made after such a horrible experience.  Thank goodness she likes blunt because I'm never actually aware that I am (although many people have told me that). Something I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment