Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Moon Day

Forty-seven years ago today Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. At the time I was going to summer school at Centenary in order to get a teaching certificate at the last minute. Mom had tried to convince me for several years to do it, but I had rebelled because I didn't want to teach. But let's face it, a bachelors degree in math wasn't very valuable unless I continued my education. So second semester of my junior year I succumbed to her wisdom. And those of us in the dorm that night went outside to gaze at the moon. It's a good memory.

Today I went to Krause House to officially meet Brianna. I'm very afraid that this girl is going to rip my heart out. She's pretty and seems very sweet and unfortunately, is in special ed. But the sad part is that she's been in foster care since she was two. She's been in numerous types of homes and is now at Krause for trauma therapy. She told me she started cutting herself, but that she doesn't do it anymore and of course, wants to leave. She's 15 and wants to be a pediatrician because she had a brother who died as an infant. There's also another brother who's 10, but was adopted by a family friend. She told me she's seen her mother occasionally and the most recent time was last Christmas. Naturally at this point I have no idea if what she's telling me is true, but as we get to know each other, I'll have a better idea. I told her I'd be back on Saturday and may even try to see her more than once a week. Or not... this will be a tough one.


No comments:

Post a Comment