Friday, February 12, 2016

Lincoln's Birthday

Although not an official national holiday, my only other choice was Plum Pudding Day and what the hell was I supposed to do with that? So I learned a few things. Black History Month has its origin in 19th century celebrations of Lincoln's birthday by African-American communities. By the early 20th century, black communities were celebrating Lincoln's birthday in conjunction with the birthday of former slave and abolitionist Frederick Douglass on February 14. The precursor to Black History Month was created in 1926 when the second week of February was designated Negro History Week. And by the 1970's, Negro History Week became Black History Month. And I thought this was something new. Since history was always my least favorite subject, I'm kind of glad I'm learning about these things now. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment