Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Day The Music Died

On February 3, 1959, Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens died in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. Don McLean in his famous song, "American Pie," referred to it as the day the music died. It's odd that I remember it since I was only 11, but maybe it was because I had older brothers who listened to the radio. However, I'm guessing it was Charles because my memories are of Joe listening to jazz. I actually still enjoy "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck because I heard it a lot in our house and it's a good memory.

But I digress. I also loved "American Pie" without ever realizing at the time what the song referenced. I'm not real sure when I figured it out, but it probably wasn't until someone explained it to me, since I've never been able to interpret lyrics (or poetry or any form of literature). I'm a numbers person and my brain just doesn't work that way. So, I now know that all this had to do with February 3rd. I'd like to say that I'll remember it from now on, but that's doubtful. I'm old, you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment