Tuesday, March 8, 2016

International Women's Day

I had a big afternoon at the races planned for today with my women buddies so we could celebrate, but alas... we had to cancel due to weather. Well, actually, we didn't have to cancel because now the big storm is supposedly coming in tonight. But you know how those TV weathermen are such alarmists.

But happily, I got an email from Kiva this afternoon that gave me reason to celebrate in the way I believe the day was intended. Kiva is a non-profit which invites people to lend money to men and women all over the world in order to alleviate poverty. I've been doing it for years... just $25 loans that are paid back over time and I've always chosen women in Africa. But the email stated that any loans made to women today would be matched by the Pepsi Foundation. And today I chose a woman over 60 in El Salvador to help her buy livestock. She makes milk and cheese to sell and also buys and sells livestock. All the participants use the money for some sort of business.  I think it's a super organization and am thrilled that I got to help today.

No comments:

Post a Comment