Monday, March 28, 2016

Something on a Stick Day

I bet you didn't think about popsicles, did you? Well, I always keep some in the fridge for hot summer days and still had some from last summer, so sat outside with the dogs this afternoon and enjoyed a frozen pop.

But the best part of my day was lunch. I met Betty and Mike in the Heights (Betty is a dear friend from my oil bidness days). They've been a staple at my New Orleans birthday parties, as well as many other happy days from the 80's and 90's.

In December, Mike had a pain in his back, went to the doctor, and many tests later, was diagnosed with multiple tumors in his body, the main one on his kidney. I knew that he was going to have to have his kidney removed and that he was participating in a research study for immunotherapy at MD Anderson, but actually knew little else because I was getting all my information from emails.

I'm ashamed to say that I was afraid to call because I just couldn't imagine that there would be any good news. I did instigate the lunch and am so happy I did. He looks great and his treatment has been very successful. The pain is gone and the treatment is so much easier than chemo or radiation. As of today, his prognosis is good. He'll have his kidney removed at the end of April and they'll know more at that time. But I've learned a valuable lesson... don't avoid those you love out of fear of what they're going through. Dive right in and take the good with the bad. But thank God, so far it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment