Friday, August 19, 2016

International Orangutan Day

To recognize the most iconic victim of the palm oil industry, this day was created to raise awareness of what's being caused by deforestation in order to grow oil palm trees. I actually first learned about this in watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix. Frankie, played by Lily Tomlin, invented a lube (yes, that kind of lube) which was ready to be manufactured until she learned her recipe had been altered to include palm oil. Her character is quite the aging hippie and so she was devastated to learn that palm oil was necessary to lower costs. So she gave up her chance at millions to save the forests which are a natural habitat for orangutans. Can't say that I blame her much because they're pretty darned cute, except for those nasty little butts. 

Since I'll be gone this weekend I visited Brianna this morning and we just talked instead of coloring. She told me about all the abuse she's suffered in her short life and it's just infuriating. No child should have to endure what she's been through and if she makes it past this, I'll be amazed, although sadly, I'll never know. But of the three girls I've mentored since I started this, I really believe she's got the best shot. Unlike the other two, she has such a sweet and basically happy personality. We talked about safe sex, birth control, and so many other things. We just might have to put the coloring aside more often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment