Sunday, November 20, 2016

Universal Children's Day

I visited one of my children today... Brianna at Krause House. During our discussion about the election and other subjects she said that she's afraid to be an adult (she's 15). At first I laughed, but then realized she was very serious. When I asked why, she replied that she's afraid of driving, getting a job, living on her own, etc. I explained that she didn't have to worry about all those things now and with each passing year she'll be less afraid. I also told her that she doesn't have to drive until she's ready and that many kids today are putting it off. I also stressed the importance of establishing a good relationship with her grandpa so that he and his wife can be her support system. That way she won't have to shoulder all those burdens on her own and she'll have someone to turn to when she faces an obstacle. I think she's worried about aging out of the foster care system and hopefully I gave her some insight to press on with less fear. At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment