Monday, April 25, 2016

DNA Day

This is a perfect opportunity for me to explain what I've done recently. In our wine group one evening, one of the ladies started talking about 23andMe, and I was fascinated. It's a website offering a DNA test that traces your ancestry, wellness, traits, and carrier status (meaning what I could pass on to my children... too late for that). I came home that night and under the influence of a little wine, paid the $199 for a kit. The bad news is that girls can only get info from their mother's side because we don't get that chromosome from the father.

Last week I got my results and although I think they're inconclusive because I'm more like Dad than Mom, it was still interesting. They knew I had blue eyes, dimples, freckles, curly hair, and could smell asparagus in my pee. That's a little spooky. From Mom's side of the family, I'm over 95% Northwestern European.

I'm hoping to encourage Rob to participate (if you're reading this, I'll split the cost, and up to May 8th, I can get a kit for $149), only because a male child can get the father's information. I'm fascinated by it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment