Sunday, October 16, 2016

Dictionary Day

This is Noah Webster's birthday and I read that we can celebrate by learning a new word. But don't they know that no one actually uses a dictionary anymore? We all know Google, which is so much handier and offers so much more information, has replaced dictionaries. So using the website Wordsmith.org, I learned the meaning of objurgate. It's certainly not a word I'll ever use, but for any of you who don't know, it means to scold severely. You're welcome.

I had a panicky morning when I started out with the dogs and the automatic sprinkler in my front yard was running. It's set on a timer to come on at 5 AM and run for 20 minutes, so this was a definite aberration. So I immediately turned the whole system off, to no avail. At that point I had two antsy dogs to get on our way so I pretended it would be off when we came back and left. On our return 40 minutes later, still on and water is pouring down the street into the storm drain. So plan B was to turn off the main water line in the garage. I did that with no result except the water in the house was off. Keeping in mind that it's Sunday morning and all my neighbors go to church, I was still seeking a solution on my own. So I found the cover in the yard and pulled the lid off to see the hole full of muddy water. And what followed was one of the scariest things I've done in my life. I stuck my arm down that hole without even knowing how deep it was. But I couldn't think about snakes or other critters, so I felt for the handle but couldn't budge it. Then I caved and called my next door neighbor. When I asked if they were getting ready for church he replied, "Sort of." So I started talking really fast and explained my problem. And bless dear Richard's heart, he came over immediately in his pants and undershirt, wielding a giant wrench and headed into my backyard where he showed me where the sprinkler system was (I should have known this) and turned it off. Whew! God bless Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment