Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Vodka Day

Now we're talkin'! I was really busy today, so had to squeeze in my Clamato and vodka between other things. Normally I prefer to have this beverage just before lunch, but was going to the elementary school to meet with one of my new mentees, so not an option. Then I had a dermatology appt. after lunch, so still a no go. But coloring at the clubhouse was at 3:00, so I figured it might help my creativity. And I think it worked.

So now let me talk about my new kid. His name is Aiden, he's in 2nd grade, and he was recommended by his teacher for a mentor because he has anger issues. At first I was a little nervous because he was very high energy. But surprisingly, when I asked him if he wanted to play a game, he said he'd rather read a book. This was a first, but I was thrilled. He chose a book in the Captain Underpants series (new to me, but pretty darned cute). I asked him to read to me and after a few pages, he said he'd rather read to himself. I explained that I didn't come to watch him read to himself, so we shared reading duties. After he got his lunch, I told him I'd read to him while he ate. And after he finished, I was stunned. Even though I was holding the book where he could see it, he stood up and put his arm around me so he could see better. Then he continued moving gradually until he was completely draped over my back. I don't think I can explain how great that made me feel. Not only had he adapted to me so quickly, but he also was giving me a gift that warmed my heart. And as I was telling him goodbye, he asked if I would be there every Tuesday. I assured him I would and then he asked, "Till the end of the year?" I said yes and even until he was in 12th grade if he wanted me to. He was so excited, as was I. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment